ATHENS SWING NIGHT CODE OF CONDUCT
Athens Swing Night is dedicated to providing a safe and comfortable event experience for everyone, therefore all attendees, instructors, staff, and volunteers at Athens Swing Night are required to comply with the following code of conduct. Organizers will enforce this code throughout the event. We expect cooperation from all participants to help ensure an inclusive environment where everyone can learn and have fun!
DECLARATION OF SAFE SPACE
Athens Swing Night is dedicated to providing a safe and comfortable event experience for everyone. We do not tolerate harassment. Misogynist, racist, sexual, homophobic, and transphobic or otherwise targeted slurs or imagery is not welcome at our events or on our social media sites. Event participants violating these rules will be sanctioned or asked to leave. A refund may be provided at the organizer’s discretion.
CODE OF CONDUCT IN DETAIL
No forms of harassment will be tolerated. Harassment includes persistent offensive comments or imagery, especially those related to gender identity, age, sexual orientation, ability, physical appearance, physical characteristics, race, or religion. Deliberately offensive or crass sexual imagery in public spaces, deliberate intimidation, threats, stalking, following, intrusive or disruptive photography or recording, and persistent unwanted social or sexual advances will all be treated as forms of harassment.
Sustained disruption of lessons, dances, or related events may also result in sanction or dismissal. If a participant engages in harassment and/or disruptive behavior, the event organizers will take action ranging from a warning to expulsion.
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else might be being harassed, or have any other concerns, please report it a member of the Event Staff immediately. We will investigate and work with the people involved to come to the best solution possible for the individuals and the scene.
BEING A GOOD SWING NIGHT ATTENDEE
- Please do not offer unsolicited advice (i.e. teach) to fellow dancers in class or on the social dance floor.
- Please use your full range of senses on the dance floor to avoid accidental collisions and injuries. It is every dancer’s responsibility to be aware of their own and their partner’s movement and position, as well as the movement and position of the dancers surrounding them, in order to avoid all forms of dangerous contact.
- Please do not practice or perform aerials at Athens Swing Night. Aerials may only be performed during jam circles or choreographed performances *with permission from event staff.* (Do not be surprised if your request is denied. Safety will always be our top priority.)
- Please dance with new dancers to enhance the community and help everyone to improve.
- Make an effort to dance with a wide variety of partners, including those you don’t personally know and/or an individual who has not danced for several songs.