ATHENS SWING NIGHT CODE OF CONDUCT
Athens Swing Night is dedicated to providing a safe and comfortable event experience for everyone, therefore all attendees, instructors, staff, and volunteers at Athens Swing Night are required to comply with the following code of conduct. Organizers will enforce this code throughout the event. We expect cooperation from all participants to help ensure a safe environment for everybody.
DECLARATION OF SAFE SPACE
Athens Swing Night is dedicated to providing a safe and comfortable event experience for everyone, regardless of background, age, ability, physical characteristics, race, religion, sexual orientation, and/or gender identity. We do not tolerate harassment of event participants in any form. Sexual language and imagery in social situations is not appropriate for any event, Twitter, Facebook, and other online media related to Swing Night and our events. Event participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the event without a refund at the discretion of the event organizers.
CODE OF CONDUCT IN DETAIL
No forms of harassment will be tolerated. Harassment includes offensive verbal comments (related to gender identity, age, sexual orientation, ability, physical appearance, physical characteristics, race, or religion), sexual images in public spaces, deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of lessons or other events, inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the event organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender and/or expulsion from the event with no refund.
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please report it a member of the Event Staff immediately.
BEING A GOOD SWING NIGHT ATTENDEE
- Please do not offer unsolicited advice (i.e. teach) to fellow dancers in class or on the social dance floor.
- Please use your full range of senses on the dance floor to avoid accidental collisions and injuries. It is every dancer’s responsibility to be aware of their own and their partner’s movement and position, as well as the movement and position of the dancers surrounding them, in order to avoid all forms of dangerous contact.
- Please do not practice or perform aerials at Athens Swing Night.
- Please dance with new dancers to enhance the community and help everyone to improve.
- Make an effort to dance with a wide variety of partners, including those you don’t personally know and/or an individual who has not danced for several songs.
- Adapted from Lindy Focus Code of Conduct 2015